Being Green in 2013: Week 3
Happy Valentine's Day from the Waste Reduction and Recycling Office! Today we encourage you to show a little love to the planet - and if you're doing some Valentine's Day crafts, we have some fun tips to keep it green. Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle on this very special day!
Have any old crayons laying around - half wrapped, unused, and probably going to be thrown away?
What you'll need:
- Old crayons (remove the paper - dipping in warm water will help this process)
- Heart shaped baking tin
- Optional - card stock and tape to mount the finished hearts
- Heat your oven to 250°.
- Fill each mold with crayon pieces and bake until the crayons melt, about 10 to 15 minutes (Tip: place a sheet pan under the crayons to catch any drips).
- Once they’ve cooled, remove the hearts from the molds and smooth any rough edges by rubbing them on a piece of scrap paper (Tip: put them in the refrigerator to speed the cooling process). As they cool, they separate a bit from the sides of the pan so they are easy to tap out of the mold.
- Optional: Use small pieces of foam tape to stick each heart to a circular, heart-shaped or square piece of cardstock and then add your message.
DIY Valentine Carrier
Finished with that box of tissues? Wait! Don't get rid of it just yet! If your kids came home with a ton of stray Valentine cards, here's a way to keep or display them for a little bit after Valentine's Day. You can paint over the tissue box with regular craft paint, and then used scrap paper from your recycling to cut heart shapes to paste or tape onto the box. Design it anyway you want and then you can put the cards inside!
Finished with your morning to-go coffee? Don't toss that sleeve away, you can use it later as a Valentine card with just a little decorating. The sleeve can easily be opened up from its normally circular shape and be used as a card when you're done using it to protect your hands from your hot coffee. With some creative ideas, a few craft items (paint, markers, printed themed paper, and glue), you can have yourself a cute and eco-friendly Valentine to give to that special someone!
We hope that while you're sharing some love on this Valentine's Day, you remember to do a little to love the planet too by cutting down and reusing what you can! Have a special day!